Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Labor and Delivery

Okay moms who read my blog - give it to me straight -the good, bad and ugly about labor and delivery - I want to hear it all.

How did you know you were in labor?

How long were you in labor?

Did you get an epi??  Did it hurt??

Did you have a c-section? Explain

Did you have a natural delivery?  Explain

Were you able to stick with your birth plan?

Did you tear?  How was the healing?

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital?

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital?

How long were you in the hospital for?

Any other knowledge or tidbits you would like to share with this first time mom??

19 comments:

Bird said...

Labor and Delivery

How did you know you were in labor?
I never went into labor because the kid went past his due date so i was induced.

How long were you in labor?
I was in labor almost exactly 12 hours and then there he was.

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt??
i labored 6 hours au naturale then got the epi because i was tired and wanted the rest. It did not hurt at all. I wasn't aware that i wouldn't really be able to move my legs so that was a bit of a surprise! lol no one told me.

Did you have a c-section?
no

Did you have a natural delivery? no i opted for an epidural and do not regret it one bit. it was so nice to see him come into the world and not be screeching and screaming and panting for dear life. i did have to push, but it wasn't uncomfortable

Were you able to stick with your birth plan?
yes

Did you tear? How was the healing?
no i had an episiotomy to avoid a ragged tear. to this day i'm not entirely sureif that was necessary, but the doctor said better to sticj up a clean cut than a scary ragged tear. The healing time was about a week, i was scared to have a bowel movement sorry if tmi but after i got over the mental fear there wasnt really much discomfort and i was given pain medication for the first few days. I was also given the sitz bath bottle to help clean the area constantly without any wiping (also probably tmi) i loved the thing so much i used it for a year just because it was neat.

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital?
all i used from my bag were the sanitary pads (hopital gives you some too) my focus objct which was a teddy bear, my socks and my music. I'm not sure why i even packed anything else.

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital?
No. And that was a sign of things to come. lol. He didn't "stay" at all. My best friend did stay though and it was a lifesaver that she did. i was so exhausted that i didn't hear the baby crying for food. he was roomed in with me) she woke me up for those first coupleof feedings.
How long

B said...

Never had a baby, but I did read this on a blog somewhere and earmarked it for the future --- the tip was to bring a pillow with a super fun, pretty pillowcase on it to the hospital. It'll be in all of your first pictures, so might as well make it something fun. :)

Also, my sister is a doula. I think there's an idea attached that doulas are only for natural births, but far from it. She participates in births with epis, c-sections, home births, etc. Her job is to be an advocate for you and your husband and your birth plan, whatever that might be. Might be worth meeting with a few in your area to see if you want one!

Leah B said...

My basic birth plan was to GET THE BABY OUT. I told my OBGYN that I wanted to try for a natural birth, but I wanted options and I wanted to be informed at all times when my last chances were for epidurals and other pain med options. She was happy about this and explained to me that when people have very detailed birth plans, things don't usually go the way that they want or expect. So just go in with an open mind and know all of your options. Your birthing class is very helpful in explaining these as well.
I woke up a day before I was to be induced (due to high blood pressure) in the middle of the night with a little pain in my mid section. I thought, "are these contractions?". Everyone said that I'd defintely know when I was in labor, so I just thought I needed to use the bathroom. I knew I couldn't sleep, so I acutally logged onto the computer and started working. Hubby woke up and asked if I was ok, I told him to go back to bed, I was fine. I started noticing that the pains were coming about 10 minutes apart. Then, they got more intense... I woke him up, told him we needed to go to the hospital, and by the time we got there, my contractions were 3-4 minutes apart and I was dialated to a 4. I was lucky that I had a fast labor, and yes, I had an epidural at the last possible moment. It made everything so much more comfortable and I could enjoy my labor instead of just focusing on the pain and trying to breathe. Do what you want to do, don't let the nurse try and talk you into anything or out of anything. I wish you a stress free and happy delivery. You and John will be over joyed with the arrival of your little boy.

jeanna said...

It is always so different form woman to woman, I can't wait to see these answers too!

How did you know you were in labor? I didn't know I was in labor, until my water broke.

How long were you in labor? At 10:30 am my water broke and Owen was born vis CS at 1:58.

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt?? I have had an epi (twins) and a spinal block (Owen). They don't hurt, but you will be nervous about it...they are WORTH IT! Most likely you will be in such pain that you will be ready for some relief.

Did you have a c-section? BC of the location of my placenta we had a c/s. It wasn't horrible, you will be so focused on your new baby that the pain and recovery is worth it. From what I hear vaginal or cs you don't feel normal the first week and you are so exhausted it is all you can do to function.

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital? PILLOWS, bobby, a blanket for you...make your bed feel as comfy as possible. Cute baby hats! Different types of tops and bras, buy a size bigger than you think you need...you can always return them. I found that I have worn Med-XL sized bras and nursing tanks.

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital? DH stayed the whole time, he didn't want to leave.

How long were you in the hospital for? BC we had a c/s we stayed 3 nights.

Heidi said...

How did you know you were in labor? Never went into labor

How long were you in labor? Went in to be induced on a Monday at 7 pm had little girl on Wednesday at 6:22pm

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt?? Yes, no it didn’t hurt

Did you have a c-section? Explain – Yes, because the induction did not work. I fought having the c-section tooth and nail. Unfortunately, I paid a big price.

Did you have a natural delivery? Explain – No – but wish I could have

Were you able to stick with your birth plan? No

Did you tear? How was the healing? No.

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital? My husband and I played cards it helped pass the time. Your own toiletries. your pillow.

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital? The whole time.

How long were you in the hospital for? From the start of the induction until I went home after birth 6 days

Any other knowledge or tidbits you would like to share with this first time mom?? If you have a c-section (by choice or by no other choice) please, please just mention the word SEPSIS to your doctors and if you choose ask if you can have an antibiotic.

Jackie, I have been following your story for a long time and I am so happy for you! I wish you the best of luck!

e Daly said...

1. Contracted at home for 12 hours before they got close enough to go to the hospital (5 minutes a part)

2. 18 hours

3. YES!!! Wish I would have gotten it sooner. I kept waiting because I was told it would slow things down. Well after 12 hours stuck at 5 cm I got it. I went from 5 to 10 in no time. I think because I was able to relax.

4. Nope

5. Nope. I don't regret it.

6. I had a really complicated pregnancy so I didn't even bother with a birth plan.

7. I sure did. And I got really bad "road rash". I'm not gonna lie the recover was much worse than I thought it would be. Ice diapers were my best friend. Rip open a size 2 diaper and fill it with ice then tape it closed. Stays colder so much longer than the stupid pads in the hostpital. My hubby would make 4 of them before heading to work :). Probably TMI but I do regret not getting waxed prior. There is so much blood afterwards and you don't want to do a whole lot of whipping. It is nice to have things clean and hair free down there. Shaving at 9 months pregnant just doesn't cut it.



8. Comfy pants that are easy to pull up, boppy pillow,

9. He went home once to shower.

Mary said...

How did you know you were in labor? Never was.

How long were you in labor? See above

Did you get an epi??  Yes Did it hurt?? Not at all. I was so wrapped up in what was happening that I didn't really feel it much. I remember it felt like a cold spot in my back spreading, and then nothing.

Did you have a c-section? Explain Yes.
Severe Preeclampsia forced me to have an emergency c-section at 28 weeks.

Did you have a natural delivery?  Explain No, obviously.

Were you able to stick with your birth plan? Not even in the smallest regard.

Did you tear?  How was the healing? C section recovery was very fast, actually.

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital? Extra chargers for phones cameras iPods etc. And I do mean extra. Things are so easily misplaced at hospitals. On the same note, don't bring anything valuable or irreplaceable or too special to you.

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital? Pretty much. I sent him home to shower and sleep once when I was on hospital bedrest.

How long were you in the hospital for? About 9 days, all told. Baby of course, stayed for 78 days in the NICU.

Any other knowledge or tidbits you would like to share with this first time mom?? Don't read/listen to too many birth stories. For some reason, everyone likes to scare new moms by telling them nightmare situations. That said, given my own trauma at having nothing under my own control, realize that it won't be like you plan or expect, but holding your son in your arms will make it worthwhile.

Samantha Marie said...

How did you know you were in labor? I went to the hospital 3 days before with consistent contractions 5 min apart but they weren't doing anything. They sent me home and the nurse told me "you'll know" when it's the real deal and she was right. It was the worst pain I had ever experienced.

How long were you in labor?
About 10 hours from when I went to the hospital to when I had my c/s

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt?? Yes, about 6 hours in. I wasn't planning on it, but I had back-labor and contractions every 2-3 minutes and was screaming for someone to kill me. So I opted for the epi. It hurt like hell to stay still through the contractions but it was worth it in the end. However if I try for a VBAC the next time I'm going to try and do it without the epi. Hopefully I wont have back labor next time :-)

Did you have a c-section? Explain. Yes. The placenta was tearing away from the uterus and I started to hemorrhage. I wasn't progressing at all so they broke my water and it was full of blood. So I was on the operating table in less than 10 minutes. It was horrible and scary, but it turned out ok in the end because me and my son are alive and healthy.

Did you have a natural delivery? Explain. That was my plan, but it didn't happen that way and I'm ok with it. You never know what's going to happen and I went in with that mindset, which I think helped me accept what happened afterward.

Were you able to stick with your birth plan? Nope. I think it's good to have one, but it's also good to be flexible while everything is happening.

Did you tear? How was the healing? Never got to the pushing part. I only made it to 4cm, so nothing happened down there. But the healing for the c/s was horrible. I don't know why women opt to have one if they don't need it.

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital? Truthfully I never ended up using most of my stuff I brought from home. I did like having my phone with music loaded on it, a camera. Bring VERY comfortable clothing. You don't have to bring a lot of baby clothes because they usually like you to dress them in the 1/2 shirts they provide because you'll be changing so many diapers and they'll be checking the baby a lot. One thing I thought was a must-have (and sorry if this is TMI) was huge granny panties (I hated the mesh ones they gave me) and I brought my own heavy-duty overnight pads because the ones they give you are the cheapies that don't have wings and would shift. Ugh! So I used my own.

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital? Yes. Our hospital provided a pull-out couch and you were able to order food for your spouse. I think he left once or twice to run some errands, but other than that he was there the whole time.

How long were you in the hospital for? almost 4 days not including the short labor. But that was probably because of my complications. I lost a lot of blood and then reacted badly to the stuff they used to close up my incision. My hospital's policy was to keep you 2 days for a natural birth and 3 days for an uncomplicated c/s.

Samantha Marie said...

And I totally didn't mean to scare you. The point I wanted to convey and didn't was that have a plan, but don't worry to much about it. Be informed, not anxious. (what felt like) a million things went wrong during my labor and recovery, but my son and I are here and healthy. They can work miracles these days, and I was at a teeny tiny county hospital in the middle of nowhere.

Flmgodog said...

How did you know you were in labor? I was induced b/c I was high risk. I went in at 9 pm on a Monday night and my daughter was born the next day at 5:55 pm.

How long were you in labor? Broke my water at 6 am and born at 5:55 pm.

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt??
After six hours I got the epi. The actual placement did not hurt but my nerves in my left leg started freaking out. It didn't last long and after that I was as good as gold.

Did you have a c-section? Explain
Nope, they threatened a lot but it never happened.
Did you have a natural delivery? Explain - depends on how you define natural....to me it was natural because it was vaginal but hello I was high risk, induced with an epi ...not exactly natural.

Were you able to stick with your birth plan? B/C I was high risk I was pretty go with the flow. I did have a birthplan but it had lots of if this...then that...in it.

Did you tear? How was the healing?
I did tear but only because once I got to that stage I pushed like their was no tomorrow. She came pretty fast. The healing was not bad at all. My hospital makes these ice tube things that are super easy to make at home. I loved them so much a took a bunch home, and a whole bunch of the supplies and used them at home too. I used them after miscarriages as well. VERY HELPFUL. My recovery was easy and I felt GREAT!
What are some must have things to bring to the hospital?
Pillow with distinctive case on it. My computer (Ipad) now to pass time. My robe to wear with my hospital gown. I brought my own pjs and undies too and totally ruined them. I didn't try my own stuff until the last morning but that was a big mistake.

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital? Most of the time. He ran a few errands and went home for a little while.

How long were you in the hospital for?

After I had her about 36 hours and only that because she had pretty severe jaundice and they were setting up home stuff for that.

I have a feeling that this time with twins it is going to be a total game changer for me.

Melissa said...

My water broke at home....thats how I knew. The nurse checked me to verify and they keep you after that.

My water broke around 2 in the afternoon and I had Cassie at 7 the next morning.

I got and epi and it did not hurt. It was awsome. I was able to sleep...the best. It didn't stop me from feeling the urge to push either. LOVED IT

I did tear. It hurt alot to have sex for quite a while after that. It seemed to take a year for it not to hurt.

Our hospital stay was not normal since we were transferred to the NICU at Childrens Hospital after the birth and stayed there for a month.

Amington said...

How did you know you were in labor?
-It felt like menstrual cramping at first and then it started to come at regular intervals and intensify.

How long were you in labor?
-About 13 hours. I pushed for a half hour.

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt??
-Yes. When the contractions turned into back labor I couldn't get through them without holding my breath, which is bad for the baby. So at that point I had to get the epi. It did not hurt at all.

Did you have a c-section?
-No

Did you have a natural delivery?
-Had the epi.

Were you able to stick with your birth plan?
-Didn't really have a birth plan other than trying to avoid getting a C-section.

Did you tear? How was the healing?
-I did tear (2nd degree), but didn't even realize it until I saw the doctor stitching me up afterwards. The epi really helps with that part too!! I didn't feel a thing. It was bad for about a week and a half. Make sure you use your water bottle to spray WHILE you are peeing, not after as I figured out. It really helps keep the stinging to a minimum.

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital?
-Hospital will seriously provide almost everything. Bring some tolietries, camera, your baby book (for handprint/footprint), and boppy pillow. It was really hard trying to use the floppy hospital pillows and wish I had brought mine. Oh and a cute outfit to bring home baby in.

Did your DH or SO stay with you during your time in the hospital?
-Yes, it was nice to have someone there with me the whole time.

lklomicka said...

How did you know you were in labor?
I was induced, so contractions came on pretty strong, pretty fast. At first it just felt like bad menstrual cramps in my lower back.
How long were you in labor?
Almost exactly 8 hours.
Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt??
Yes i got an epidural, and it wasn't bad at all. A little sting and a zing down my leg and I felt 1000 times better almost immediately.
Did you have a c-section? Explain
Nope
Did you have a natural delivery? Explain

Were you able to stick with your birth plan?
I didn't really have a birth plan to be honest.
Did you tear? How was the healing?
Yes I did. I was VERY sore for a few weeks afterwards. Sitting down and getting up was difficult for a while. I had to move very slowly. For me that was worse than labor.
What are some must have things to bring to the hospital?
Bring socks in case your room is cold, your own pillow if you are particular about it, and snacks for you and your DH.
Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital?
Yes, he stayed all 48 hours. (our state requires 48 hours after birth).
How long were you in the hospital for?
48 hours after the birth.
Any other knowledge or tidbits you would like to share with this first time mom??
Definitely take advantage of the icepacks and healing items that they give you. I asked for extra packs and it helped so much. Make sure you drink plenty of water if you are planning on nursing. Also, don't push yourself too soon after the birth. And lastly, trust your instincts! You'll do great!

Susann said...

I posted about all these things over the last few weeks (including a packing list)-- feel free to take a look at my blog if you want!

Dani said...

How did you know you were in labor?

I was dilated to a 4 and 90% effaced the Friday before I delivered and was feeling a lot of pressure so I called my midwife and she said to go to the hospital to get checked, in case I was in labor. I got there, was at a 5 and since I was strep positive they kept me!

How long were you in labor?

From the time my midwife broke my water until the time I was holding my daughter in my arms, 4.5 hours.

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt??

No

Did you have a c-section? Explain

No

Did you have a natural delivery? Explain

Since I had struggled with infertility for so long I wanted to experience all of pregnancy and delivery as possible, so I went natural. And it was AMAZING!!! I delivered at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (in Philadelphia) and the OBGYN practice I used had 3 midwives. Together with a midwife, I had a doula to help with the laboring. Both me and hubby were so glad she was there. Natural births are painful, but every single day I think about her birth and it's one of my most cherished memories. I loved having my husband so involved in my laboring and my midwife let him "catch" her. Every thing about it was just so special. I have nothing against epidurals, and if my pain would have turned to suffering I would gladly have requested one! I think your delivery should be an experience you ENJOY. And only you and your man can determine what kind of experience that will be for you. :)


Were you able to stick with your birth plan?

Yes. I can email you my birth plan, if you'd like.

Did you tear? How was the healing?

Yes, small tear because she came out with her hand on her cheek. The healing was quick. I was able to "wipe" normally (sorry, TMI) within a few days.

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital?

Your own pillow!, pjs, camera, the usual tioletries.

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital?

Stayed the first night but I sent baby to the nursery the second night so I could get "some" sleep. I'm nursing so the nurses would bring her in every two hours so I could nurse. He went home to get some good rest so he could be more helpful the next day.

How long were you in the hospital for?

Monday-Thursday

Any other knowledge or tidbits you would like to share with this first time mom??

If you're going to nurse, have the lactation specialist come in EVERY SINGLE TIME you nurse. Or, if it's in the middle of the night, have the nurse come in to help. Even if you feel like you've got the hang of it. I liked my LS but it was the night nurse, my second night there that really helped it "click" for me.

Email me if you have any questions about natural birth, having a doula, what my birth plan was like, nursing, etc... I love talking about it!

danivest AT gmail DOT com

shawnandlarissa said...

How did you know you were in labor? I was having pretty regular contractions. Went and got checked and was 4 cm dilated. Walked the halls for an hour and was still 4 cm dilated, so I was contracting regularly but not progressing, so I went home. Went back about a day later and was 10 cm

How long were you in labor? About 30 hours

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt?? Nope

Did you have a c-section? Explain Nope

Did you have a natural delivery? Yep! I labored at home for all but the pushing (1.5 hours)

Were you able to stick with your birth plan? Yep

Did you tear? How was the healing? I had a 2nd degree tear. Healing was no big deal.

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital? Chapstick, comfortable clothes

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital? Yep

How long were you in the hospital for? 36 hours (1 night)

Any other knowledge or tidbits you would like to share with this first time mom?? DS was posterior, so I had pretty good back labor and progress was slow. This time I'm seeing a chiropractor and will hopefully avoid a posterior repeat. If you want to go natural, be sure to commit to it now. If you go in thinking you'll just see how it goes, you'll probably get an epi. If you go in mentally prepared and believing you can do it, well you can :)

Nicole said...

You can read my birth story here (http://anonymousinfertilityconfessions.blogspot.com/2010/08/birth-story.html). It will answer all the questions you asked in relation to Baby C's birth. And as for the hospital bag, go here (http://anonymousinfertilityconfessions.blogspot.com/2010/07/birth-pref-bag-and-questions.html).

Anonymous said...

How did you know you were in labor?
I knew at 20 weeks when I was in preterm labor and again when the labor had actually started with the induction because there was a regular pattern to when the cramps happened.

How long were you in labor?
84 hours

Did you get an epi?? Did it hurt??
I didn't. I had Stadol for pain relief while I was in labor, then a spinal when I went in for the c-section. The spinal didn't hurt at all, but the numbing shot they put in my back before they started the spinal itself stung a little. It was NOTHING compared to the past four days of pain though!

Did you have a c-section? Explain
Yep. After 84 hours of labor, I was only dilated to 5 cm. I was GBS+ and my water had been broken for 36 hours by then. My MFM offered me another day to labor but with no pain meds allowed, so I demanded a c-section. It turned out that his head was malpositioned, hence the slow progress.

Were you able to stick with your birth plan?
Nope. For starters, my birth plan involved not being induced until 39+ weeks. And because of the induction, I had to have constant fetal monitoring so I couldn't move as much as I wanted to in labor. And I definitely never planned to have a c-section, but I was so relieved that it was finally over even when the c-section went very badly.

Did you tear? How was the healing?
Gonna spin this a different way... C-section healing was no big deal. I drove myself home (200 miles) 5 days after the surgery painlessly with just ibuprofen.

Anonymous said...

Apparently my comment was too long... lol!

What are some must have things to bring to the hospital?
Lip balm, lotion, slippers, chargers for everything electronic, and your favorite shower supplies. Face wash, because I broke out terribly after delivery. Dark colored maternity pants are a must. And lots of them, because you will bleed through them. John will want lots of change for the vending machines. If you have some undies you don't care about, bring them too because the mesh ones are really uncomfortable. And your own pads. You'll go through a bunch and it's hard to flag down someone to bring you more of the hospital's. A breastfeeding support pillow would have been great. I was also glad I brought my breast pump, because my son ended up staying in NICU for a few days and I needed it. Oh, and baby socks. You'll probably be too afraid to cut his nails, and the scratch mitts don't stay on very well, but socks on his hands won't budge!

Did your DH or SO stay with you during you time in the hospital?
He left a few times to go grab food, but otherwise he was there the whole time.

How long were you in the hospital for?
Ten days. Five for the induction, four more for my c/s recovery, and one extra in a spare room while he was still in NICU.

Any other knowledge or tidbits you would like to share with this first time mom??
SwaddleMe blankets are incredible once you get home. The microfleece ones stay put much better than the cotton ones.