Saturday, January 7, 2012

Dh's Family is so Backwards

Since as many of my readers know I have had alot of digestion issues - I want Colin eat as healthy as possible.

Only in DH's family would this be a bad thing.  I swear this family is so close minded and if it is not there way it is not the right way.

I am having a really hard time with them.  Obviously I hope to breast feed and if I cannot breast feed I will try to pump - because it is best for baby - I am not against formula at all and would not be opposed to using it - I may have to use it if I do not have enough supply.  I have also decided that I want to make my own baby food and cereal. 

I am looking into how to go about doing it and what I will need - I figure if I am going to be a stay at home mom why not make Colin's food - again if I can.  Any pointers would be appreciate by the way : )

Well Dh's family think I am crazy - his SIL actually asked me if I am going just whip my boob out all the time - like breast feeding is a bad thing - when I brought up that I was looking into making my own baby food - they said that I was acting snotty and what is wrong with store bought food - are you kidding me??  You think they would be happy I want to do this - why am I having to defend myself on this.

I am not against formula or store bought baby food at all - I do not look down upon anyone or how they choose to feed their child - why is Dh's family looking down upon me for wanting to breast feed and make my own baby food.

I just do not get it.  I do not get them sometimes.  I am sick of having to defend everything I do and this baby is not even here yet.

11 comments:

Candis Berge said...

Dear Jackie, I have followed your blog lately and check in to see the important announcement of the soon to happen birth! I am a grandma to 12 and each birth is exciting. About other family members opinions: YOU are the mother, do exactly what you believe is best for your baby. But it would be my opinion that you just DO what you want and not discuss it since your choices seem to be a threat to some family members. Just quietly go about what you plan, don't talk too much about it and just let others talk and then ignore their suggestions if you want! Just smile. Say "that's a good point" and do it YOUR way. (I totally agree with your choices in breastfeeding and making your own baby food by the way.) Best wishes on the birth soon!

Miss Megan said...

Some people believe that there is only ONE right way to do things. It is frustrating! But I agree wholeheartedly with Candis - people can talk all they want - and you should just be polite and say "that's a good suggestion", then carry on and do what ever it is that you were already going to do. This baby is yours, not theirs. =)
I breastfed my twins (and intend to breastfeed baby #3) AND made my own baby food...because it was better for the girls. Did some people think I was nuts? Absolutely. Did I get a lot of not necessarily positive comments? Sure. But you know what? I ignored every single one of them. I worked damn hard to get my babies here. Now it was my turn to be a mommy...they had their turn...they could suggest whatever they wanted, but I was under absolutely no obligation to do anything they suggested.
As for your SIL...when she asked you if you were just going to whip your boob out there, I suppose my answer would be, "yup. And if you are in my house and you are uncomfortable with that, you can choose to go to a different room or take a walk. I am in no way ashamed that this is how I am choosing to feed my baby. Breast IS best, and I am choosing to give my baby the best start possible." So there! LOL. You've got this handled momma =). And it won't stop after he's born, so get the thick skin now!!

Nic said...

Wow, they are strange!! If I have a baby I want to breast feed if I can and make my own foods. I think it's great if you can.
Ignore them! X

Unknown said...

Some people! Geez. I have breastfed my daughter for the past 9 months, and started her on solids when she was 4 months old. We started with veggies, then went to fruits and now she eats whatever we are eating. I highly suggest getting a magic bullet or even the baby bullet. You can steam veggies in the microwave and just throw them in the bullet for a few seconds, and voila!

akoto said...

Many people act that way to basically just defend the way they did things, even though you are not doing anything just to defy them. I learned quickly that unfortunately, it is better to sometimes keep quiet about things with certain people.

There is hardly any pre-made baby food in this country, so I made all of our son's food. It was work, but I have never regretted it or wished my way out of it. It was great to learn how to prepare different kinds of vegetables, too. There are now some really great food processors on the market designed specifically for baby food, and boy do I was I had been able to get one! Honestly, it's hard for me to imagine just buying the food all of the time.

I used edmo's blog for reference in the beginning, by the way. ;) Theres's also a really great site for it, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

Ah! By the way, I have some stuff to send for Colin, but I just haven't been able to get out and send it yet. Will try to do so soon!

Chrissie said...

Home made rice cereal is SO easy to make. You can buy organic rice very inexpensively at bulk stores like whole foods, or your local store (if organic is important to you) but you simple grind it in a coffee grinder and then add water or formula. There are tons of how to guyides online. But it is super easy and super cheap! I think sme people just feel defensive about the way they did things but you are the mama so you can do what you think is best for your little one. I think Colin will love whatever you feed him, and I know you will save money if you make food yourself!! Blessings to you x

Candis Berge said...

Another thought: instead of continuing a conversation on what you should or should not do with your baby, why not be ready to turn the conversation around by asking "what ways did people disagree with how you were raising your baby?" "How did you handle it?" People love to talk about themselves... they may not even notice the irony. :)

Tracey said...

Sometimes I think people like this feel threatened somehow, as if how they do things isn't/wasn't good enough. My mom mocks me when I insist on buying organic milk. I think she feels like maybe I judge her for not giving us (my brother and I) organic food? Well 40 years ago, this stuff wasn't around!

It makes them feel better to question what you're doing and they can bond over how "crazy" you are for your choices.

You are doing an AMAZING thing for your little guy and have an awesome attitude about it all. You go momma!

Katie said...

Yes, you are the Momma, so you should do it your way. It's amazing how so many people feel the need to share their opinions when it's none of their business! I think you'll find this link really helpful : http://www.parents.com/recipes/baby-food/ Lots of recipes from homemade baby food, making your own purees,etc :)

Grace said...

I hate to tell you that what you feed your baby, how your feed your baby, and when you feed your baby what is almost as big as topic as working mom vs. stay at home mom. My sil judged me for starting my son on solids at 4 months ("you know those bananas are binding right?")b/c she waited until her daughter was 6 mo. Then when he was ready to move to finger foods she judged the size of the pieces I gave him ("how can he chew that?") Now that my son is 16 months and her daughter is 19 months I'm still hearing it. Last night I gave him a whole apple, which he has no problem eating and does it all the time, and she had to question me b/c her daughter needs the apple to be cut up in little pieces. I said he has a mouth full of teeth, he can figure out how to eat that apple! So don't let it get to you, people judge to make themselves feel better about their own choices.
For making baby food- it is so easy. First do not buy any crazy gadget! They only eat pureed food for such a short time and they will be on to finger foods before you know it. A pot, steamer basket, and a small food processer are all you need. And I only used the food processer for a short time too b/c you will be able to smash the steamed food with your fork and feed it to them. Ice cube trays to freeze the purees are great. Defiantly try out the purees before you make a huge batch. There were just some foods my son would not eat pureed, peas and carrots for example. As soon as he could eat them just steamed he loved them though. Also, there are some foods out there what will just be cheaper and easier to buy already pureed so don’t feel bad about doing that either. One last suggestion for you is to look at whole grain rice cereal vs. white rice cereal. My son actually started on baby oatmeal. There is no rule that rice cereal has to be the first food!

merlin said...

Your only concern should be: is it best for you, and for you and your baby.......you don't owe anybody, not even family, a reason for why you do, or do not, anything.