Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mystery Solved

So I have written how I have been really sick for the past few weeks - well my test result finally came back and I have C-Diff - which is a bacterial infection. It is very contagious so my husband is going to the doctor tonight to have testing done to see if he has C-Diff also. I got it from my 78 year old godmother - she was in the hospital with C-Diff a few weeks ago and I was there visiting and taking care of her. Only my luck - I try to be a good person and help her out because her family wanted nothing to do with it and I get sick.

So I do not know what this means for my treatment. I started antibiotics yesterday and I have to take them for 2 weeks - which means I will be going off the the antibodies just as I am suppose to start the treatment. I called my RE to ask what he thought and he said that technically I can do the treatment but in his opinion he thinks I should wait another month - make sure I am better and my body is back to normal.

Now I do not know what to do - I really wanted to start treatment but I think it will be better to wait. What would you do if you were in my position??

13 comments:

RELH said...

Ohh sweetie! I am glad you found out what's up. I would hold off on cycling. Take the meds. and let your body get back to normal. I know you don't want to wait longer, but it may be for the best.

Deanna said...

I'm sure it's frustrating, but I would wait. Give your body a chance to be back at full strength. I have to think if you're feeling really rundown when you're trying to get pregnant, it would impact your chances.

jeanna said...

I know what I would want to do, cycle ASAP, but I know that Chris probably wouldn't let me. Your body has been through a lot recently, I would hate for you to spend the money and it not work and all you could think about was "what if we had waited". You KNOW I want you to do it, but I am scared your body wont be ready. Do you have to make the decision now? Maybe you can see how the antibiotics work and then make a decision. Ok, I think now I should have just emailed ya!

Glass Case of Emotion said...

It's hard to wait another month, but I wouldn't want you to do something you'd regret with those precious frozen embryos. I would say give your body another month to heal. I am so sorry you had CDiff. I was tested for it once, and the way I felt that day week was pretty yucky. :(

Life Happens said...

I hope the antibiotics kick in and you start to feel better! Maybe there is a reason this is all happening right now? I agree with everyone else, let your body heal properly and then start the cycle. Good luck!!

Melissa said...

I would wait for treatment till I was better....better to be safe!! Hope the meds kick in quickly and you feel better!!

T said...

Though it would be a very hard decision to make, I think I would postpone a month. God forbid it does not work you could have in the back of your mind that waiting might have been a better choice.

When I started feeling terrible after my retrieval the dr said it was up to me if I wanted to freeze and wait until I felt better to do an FET. It was terrible and dissapointing, but we decided to wait. I just knew my body was not a good place for my babies to start out in.

Soon after we made our decision the results came back that I had OHSS and the doc at that time confirmed it would be in the best interest to wait.

Good luck making your decision. So sorry you have another difficult one to make.

Megan said...

I would wait. Don't set yourself up for a scenario where you are always wondering what might have happened if you waited. In the grand scheme of things what's another month?

Anonymous said...

Oh Jackie that just sucks but I am so glad that they figured out what is wrong with you. I have to agree with everyone about waiting to cycle, if it doesn't work I would always wonder if it was because I didn't give myself enough time to get healthy.

Anonymous said...

First time here, I would hold off.

Also I added you to my blogroll and Google Reader. Look forward to reading more.
liddy @ the unfair struggle

TwoDogMama said...

I'm so sorry that you are sick and coming from a person who only waited one month before trying a 2nd full IVF cycle (after the first one failed) I would give your body a month to rest. I know how hard it is to wait and wait, but a year removed from the situation I wished I had waited. I don't think it would have made much difference, but you want to be at your best for those little embryo's.

Mirabel's Parents said...

i saw this on LFCA and had to comment. i had c-diff (before TTC) and after 1 month of antibiotics it took my body months to get back to normal. c-diff is a very bad illness and it wreaks havoc on your whole GI system. i can't imagine how much it would SUCK to have to postpone cycling (i'm an IF survivor too) but honestly...give you poor body a rest. trust me, you need to get back into fighting shape to make a good home for your embies! good luck.

Queenie. . . said...

Ugh. I am so sorry you are sick. I had C. Diff. while TTC, so I totally feel for you. I would definitely wait a month. I ended up with proctitis from the C. Diff infection (rare AND sucky!), and it took me months to get back to normal. That probably won't happen to you, but those GI infections can really mess with your nutrient absorbtion, and you want to be in tip top shape for your next round with the RE. It sucks, but hang in there and take the time to ensure you are really well and fully recovered from the infection. Best wishes to you!