Wednesday, September 29, 2010

How do you DESTRESS??

I need help - I need some advice or options on how a person destresses. Things have gone from bad to worse with me and it is all because of stress. My body is bascially turning on me and I do not like it.

I went to the allergist / ears nose and throat doctor yesterday and after waiting for more than two hours to see him I got some more bad news. Apparently I have thrush - as we all already know - but apparently it is really bad because it is enbeded in my tastebuds and is a direct link to stress - he even asked me about my stress level. I am on a new drug now where I have this pill I am suppose to put in my upper gum and it is suppose to disslove during the course of the day - I will be on it for 14 days - and if that does not work then I will have to go back for more testing - because this may become a serious issue.

The doctor also thinks my bowel problems (which thankfully are better) are directly linked with this tongue issue. Oh and the bumps on the sides of my tongue that I was so concerned about - yeah that is me biting my tongue in my sleep and hard - which again is because of stress.

So I ask my blog readers - how do you deal with stress - how do you handle it - what do you do to ease it and get through the day??

At this point I am even thinking about turning to antidepressants or some sort of medication to help with this - because I do not know what else to do.

I do not feel stressed but apparently my body is holding all of it in. I did ask my husband for help - I said to him that he really needs to start taking care of things and taking care of me - I always take care of him but who is there to take care of me??

Maybe my miscarriage was harder on me than I would like to admit.

I am praying that this medicine works and my tongue goes back to normal - but if I do not deal with my stress it could come right back. I am trying to envision a healthy body and mind.

17 comments:

Kristen said...

yoga, go for walks, talk....

that is how I de-stress.

NancyandMark said...

Exercise, sleep, a glass of wine and talking always helps me destress...and a monthly massage doesn't hurt either. I hope you feel better soon. You have been through so much it is no wonder you're body is holding it all in. #1 is to always take care of you. Thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Well, I have a whole bunch of unhealthy ways I deal with it (like overeating). But getting enough sleep and exerciszing is key for me. I used to have an really bad anxiety problem that gave me panic attacks a few times a week. But I worked it out with therapy and anti-depressants. I was on meds for a few years and it really helped. Most of the time people don't need to be on if for years at a time, but it really does help. Not that I'm saying it's right for you (only you and your doctors and therapist can decide that), but meds did help me and they have helped lots of people.

jeanna said...

bubble baths, massages, reading cheap novels (takes me out of my world and into another one)

Rach said...

I 2nd exercise. In the past I didn't deal with stress well and when I started working out consistently it really took my stress away. Now when I have a bad day I go home, put on my running shoes and go for a run. I zone out to the music of my ipod and it does wonders for me. I can actually tell when I haven't been getting enough exercise. I get grumpy and irritable. I hope this helps, I would also try talking to friends, taking time for yourself and getting a massage or go shopping for some retail therapy. :) I hope you feel better soon sweetie!

mare said...

I am currently taking a quilting class and it has done more for me stress-wise, than anything has before (I have never dealt with stress well and have tried a lot of different things). The class itself is awesome and doing the "homework" is fun. It helps me to be present and focus on my work.

Jenn said...

I'm sorry you're going through this Jackie :( I've dabbled in this a little, but my BIL just went through some pretty serious life stuff and found that yoga and meditation have really helped him. We can already tell a difference in how relaxed and less uptight he is now and he says he feels so much better. Might be worth looking into an intro class in your area. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Modern Camelot said...

I've read a lot of articles about the positive effects of accupuncture on women dealing with infertility for stress, and I'm looking into giving it a try. Maybe it would help you?!

Kelly
http://thestateoftheuterus.blogspot.com/

Tabitha said...

I'm with Kristin...yoga, long walks, talking....especially to God. Even when everything is going crazy, there's nothing better than just praying and taking the time to talk with God, read the Bible and TRUST HIM. I'll be praying for you Jackie!

Melissa said...

Going to the gym and working out to some good music or a kick boxing class helped me. When we were dealing with or first IVF cycle and infertility I read the bible every day, it really helped me. To know that God is ALWAYS in control and would never leave me put me to tears. I didn't understand why we couldn't get pregnant but knowing God had a plan and loved me did wonders. Also...getting a dog helped. I needed something to "take care of". Walking her every day really helped. Thinking of you.

Nic said...

I used to smoke!! That worked so well but def dont start that!!

I know run (when I am able to) and like a foot massage or a back massage.

To be honest, I find it hard to destress and wish I was able to better. I grind my teeth at night due to stress!

Hope you find something that helps soon.
Take care
x

Nicole said...

Stress is terrible for you and I hope you feel better. We drink kava root alot to help with stress and while planning our wedding I took valerian root, which is supposed to help stress also. I felt more calm. In chinese medicine, when the tonque is swollen (with teeth marks on sides, like you biting your tongue) it is because of spleen deficiency (the spleen is associated with digestion, but also with the emotions of overworry and overthinking). Eating foods that are bland is always good for the spleen.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried acidophillus for the thrush?

When you get thrush it is because you dont have enough of the "good bacteria" in your mouth and gut so the bad stuff overruns it. A lot of times it is from taking too many antibiotics.

Glass Case of Emotion said...

Oh Jackie, so sorry to hear you are so stressed. When stress starts to interfere with your health, I think considering an antidepressant (maybe only in the short term) is highly worth it. I took Zoloft for a while when I started getting back pain from stress and it helped immensely. I think for me, it sounds like maybe your stress is pushed way down low so it's not coming up mentally but more physically. So I would suggest physical ways for you to feel better- therapeutic massage/baths/ exercise. And also, continued counseling to make sure things are getting out. I also suggest something to keep you busy- maybe knitting or some other hobby.
I am so sorry your husband is unwillinig to go to counseling, I think that is sure to be adding pressure to things. Thinking of you!

Nicole said...

Exercise helps me battle normal stress, but IF stress is a different monster. that kind of peace is very elusive. pray for peace & trust in Gods plan for you.((sigh)) good luck

Anonymous said...

Oh Jackie! I'm so sorry you're going through all this! I sooo wish I had an answer that actually worked for me because my migraines are hormonal but also stress induced. Counseling has helped along with some meditation classes and yoga but as you see my blog I still struggle hard with these. The best advice I have for you is to be kind to yourself. You've been through a ton in the past year. Sending you big hugs!!

{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}
Alison

Anonymous said...

Guided meditation, long walks, and yoga. I can email you the guided meditations that I swear by next week if you want!