Friday, September 10, 2010

More Questions for those dealing with Blood Clotting Disorders

I have two copies of the homozygous C677T mutation of MTHFR.

Also my homocysteline level is raised. Normal is 10 - mine is 12.8 - which is not too high but still off the scale.

I will need to be on B6 and B12 vitamins for the rest of my life. Once I start treatments again I will need to be on a higher level of folic acid and lovenox.

I read on the boards that there is this pill called Flogard - which contains the B vitamins and the extra folic acid that is needed to sustain a pregnancy so I think I may look into that - has anyone else been on this pill during pregnancy??

What else do to I need to know - is there other medications or vitamins or supplements I should be taking??

I am wondering if I add this vitamins to my diet if I could get pregnant on my own??

I am not sure where we stand on TTC now - I have to think about how I want to proceed.

Also those with a blood clotting disorder - do you have to see a special OB or a high risk OB??

Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a miscarriage at 15 weeks. Afterward, I was considered "high-risk" and had to see a high risk ob. She put me on Folgard. I am currently taking it now and have been for almost 6 months. I have the heterozygous MTHFR and normal homocystein levels. I think she just put me on it for a precaution. I am currently 8 weeks pregnant.

Brooke said...

I also have the double mutation and my fasting homocysteline level is high also, I don't remember the exact number but I think it was around 12-13.

I only have to be on extra vitamins when I'm pregnant, not all the time. The Lovenox was not bad for me as far as the bruising, the worst part was the needle on the pre-filled syringes is not that sharp. I had terrible bruising when I had to start the Heparin at 36 weeks (Lovenox stays in your system 24 hours, Heparin only 12 hours).

I had to see a high-risk OB because of the twins, then losing one and then because of the MTHFR, the bright side is getting lots of u/s because of it!

I took Folbic during my pregnancy which I assume is the same is Folgard.

Other than the daily injections, it had very little impact on my pregnancy.

Jenn said...

I was on lovonox and Foltex (generic of Folgard I think). The Foltex wasn't very much, I think even less then my 9.00 co pay for 30 day supply. That's all they had for me... I never carried to term (becasue of other resaons), but was always with a high risk OB, and weekly scans. Since we are adopting, I've only maintained the baby asprin every day....

Hopeful34 said...

hi! I tested positive for one mutation which wasn't the bad one. All i have to do is take extra folic acid when pregnant. I was on lovenox the cycle i got pregnant with the twins. If you take lovenox you absolutely could get pregnant on your own! I was told that the MTHFR is a cause of miscarriage because of clotting. I so hope you have your answers now and get pregnant all on your own! You will have to take lovenox all through out your pregnancy. The shot isn't the greatest feeling but it's all worth it. I stopped my shot at 13wks as i really didn't need it. GL!!

Kristin (kekis) said...

Hey girl! Glad you left the comment on my blog about MTHFR. I was diagnosed with the C677t mutation after my 2nd m/c. Although my fasting homocysteine levels were normal at the time, my OB/gyn started me on PNVs that contain folic acid, a daily 81mg aspirin (for clotting), & 4 mg/daily of Folgard or Foltex (can't remember which one). I will also take Lovenox immediately upon that elusive-BFP. Not sure if you read the page on my blog about MTHFR, but it has some information as well.

In the past year or two (yes, those of us dealing w/ RPL & IF speak in years, huh?!) since my RPL panel, there have been some changes in thought in the medical community in regards to MTHFR. Doctors once felt that all ladies w/ the MTHFR mutation (any mutation) needs to be on blood thinners upon a BFP. That is changing now. I told my doctor that I WILL be on Lovenox or Heparin when/if I get pg because that is what I want as a patient. I've done my research and looked at each of my three losses, and that is what I will do. I told him if he won't Rx it, I will find someone who will. :)

I have some more information that I need to add to my blog. I can email it to you if you like. Just drop me a line at kekis26 at gmail dot com.

We'll have our families . . . it's just a sucky, sucky path to get there.