Wednesday, March 24, 2010

My Brother Has Shingles

I feel so very bad for him - he is in so much pain - he found out he had them on Monday morning and he cannot sleep or move around much for that matter - he said he is so weak and the blisters just keep getting bigger and bigger.

I am a mom figure to him since I took care of him after my mom died. So he has been calling me about 3 or 4 times a day - he just keeps saying - why is this happening to me. You know when you are sick or in pain all you want is your mom - well I am the closest thing that he has to a mom now. I know he just wants me to tell him everything will be okay. I went online to find out ways to help him and e-mailed him what I found - I just wish there was more that I could do.

The doctor says it was brought on my stress - he is moving his whole young family across the country and does not even have housing set up on base yet - so of course he is mentally stressed but also he has recently gotten into bodybuilding and has put alot of stress on his body physically as well - so maybe that is why this happened. I always thought older people got shingles - my brother is 27 years old.

The doctor says the pain could last anywhere form 7 days to 100 days and may cause permenant weakness - and he will have scars - it is all over his back and stomach.

So there is my reality check - Here I am complaining about what I do not have and saying life is not fair - but life could be alot worse.

I hope my brother gets well very very soon.

8 comments:

Nicole said...

Acupuncture is very good for conditions like shingles. Has he tried that yet? Hope he gets better soon!

T said...

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I will be praying for a fast recovery!

tara @ the every things said...

im very sorry to hear about your brother! wish & praying him to have a very fast recovery! shingles are awful, & truly painful. I hope he can soothe the pain soon!

Sarah said...

Oh mannn. I hope your brother feels better soon! You are such a good sis/mom for trying to help him. I would recommend Googling the crap out of it, but it sounds like you already did that :)

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about your brother Jackie! I will never forget when I had shingles a few years ago, like you I told the doctor I thought only the elderly got shingles. Hopefully they caught it early enough that he won't be in pain for too long.

jeanna said...

How horrible for your brother. I am so sorry for him and I will be thinking about him and adding him to my prayer list. Keep us updated on his recovery.

The George Family said...

Ugh, shingles are the worst. My husband came down with them a little over a year ago and was in lots of pain as well. We went through the whole, I thought only elderly people got them too!

Hopefully the meds they got him on will help it to clear up quickly.

Anonymous said...

:( poor guy

xx