Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Drama with my Godmother's Family

I am close to my godmother - especially after my mother died - she is older - 78 years old to be exact and her partner died just about a year ago and ever since then she has been in declining health.  I only live about 5 minutes from her house and her family lives about 45 minutes away - so at first I was there for her most of the time - taking her places and taking care of her and being there for her - but it got to be too much on me after about 9 months - I reached out to her family and said I needed help taking care of her - they were not happy about this and said I am not a family member and to butt out - so that is basically what I did. 

In April she went into the hospital right around the corner from my house for a bowel surgery - she did not recover well and was in the ICU for almost a month - it was hard on me and I was very stressed and upset - even seeing her like that was hard on me.  They even told us at one point she was going to die - but she pulled though and did well and was out of the hospital in about another 3 weeks.

Then they found she had a serious heart problem and needed to have open heart surgery.  I told her now that I am pregnant I will not be coming to the ICU to see her - I will wait until she is better and in a rehab before I come to see her.  For one I should not be in an ICU pregnant, plus it was so hard and stressful on me last time and she does not even remember her time in the ICU last time and would not even remember be being there so why put myself through the stress - she said she was fine with my decision - well apparently she did not tell her family.

Her open heart surgery was on Friday - her one niece called me and let me know she made it through the surgery okay.  Then on Sunday her friend e-mailed me to let me know that she had visited her and she was still intubated but doing okay.  So today I decided to e-mail her other niece to to see if she knew how my godmother was doing. 

Well the niece flipped out on me - saying I have alot of nerve and I should go visit her myself.  Apparently she had a caraic arrest on Monday night - now of course they did not call me or e-mail me to tell me - but I am the one with the nerve.  They think my decision not to visit her is wrong and they are judging me for it.  With my hormones being crazy this has really made me emotional - how dare them judge me.  I am so sick of her family being so mean to me - when I was the one that had to ask them to step up after taking care of her by myself for months.  I need to focus on me and my baby right now and that is the most important thing to me and they should not make me feel bad about that.

I am hoping to call the hospital today and see if they will give me any information - I will no longer be dealing with her family - why should I let them add stress to me and the hospital she is in now is a good 45 mins away from me so it is not like I can pop in anytime like I did the last time she was in the ICU.  Why go there an upset myself when she will not even remember me being there because they have her so drugged up.

Sorry just had to vent.

2 comments:

Nic said...

I am sorry she is not well and I'm sorry her family are making things so hard. I agree, you need to focus on you and your baby right now.
Good luck for ultrasound tomorrow!

cjdubs13 said...

Can't wait to hear about your appointment tomorrow! As someone who is working on dealing with her own stress, I am finding that avoiding people like that is very helpful. I am so sorry your god mother is not doing well and hope everything turns out okay. Sending you good vibes for tomorrow!!