Monday, May 12, 2008

My Problem with the Catholic Church right now.

To begin with I have always had problems with the Catholic Church. I went to Catholic school from Kindergarden to Second Grade - after Second Grade my mother and father could no longer afford to send me there - so what does the Priest do - he comes into my second grade class and proceeds to tell me that I will not longer be attending this school because my parent cannot afford it - yes he told an 8 year old in front of the whole class that - of course my mom was so pissed she pulled me right out of there and she was basically done with the Catholic School, Church, etc - we never went to CCD or anything.

Well as an adult I felt that I needed some guidance - especially after my mother died - so I decided to take the adult CCD classes and receive all of my sacraments. It was back in 2005/2006 - I took the classes for about a year - I always asked questions - which is a no no. I went every week - and it just so happened that my Wedding was coming up around the same time as I was finishing the classes and about to receive my sacraments. Well, being that I asked so many questions, one of the teachers sat me down to question my faith - they all thought I was just there because I was getting married - which was ridiculous because I began the classes before I even thought about getting married - I basically had to defend my reasons for being there - so that pissed me off as well.

And now this:

This is an article from CNN.com/EuropeVATICAN CITY, Italy (AP) -

- Pope Benedict XVI acknowledged Saturday that the Vatican's teaching against birth control was difficult as he praised a 1968 Church document that condemned contraception.Pope Benedict expressed concern that human life risks losing its value in today's culture.

In a speech marking the 40th anniversary of the document, Benedict reiterated the Church's ban against artificial birth control as well as more recent teaching against using artificial procreation methods.

Pope Paul VI's 1968 "Humanae vitae" ("On Human Life") encyclical prohibits Catholics from using artificial birth control.

"The teaching laid out in the 'Humanae vitae' encyclical isn't easy," Benedict said.

"What was true yesterday remains true even today. The truth expressed in 'Humanae vitae' doesn't change; on the contrary, in the light of new scientific discoveries, it is ever more up to date," the pope added.

Benedict appeared to be referring to artificial procreation methods, which in the Church's view offend the dignity of life and go against Vatican teaching that the only way to conceive a child is through intercourse between husband and wife.

"No mechanical technique can substitute the act of love that two married people exchange as a sign of a greater mystery," Benedict said.

Benedict expressed concern that human life risks losing it value in today’s culture and worried that sex could “transform itself into a drug” that one partner has to have even against the will of the other.

“What must be defended is not only the true concept of life but above all the dignity of the very person,” the pope added.

Paul VI was said to have agonized over whether to allow artificial conception in preparing the encyclical. Benedict described Paul’s decision as the fruit of much suffering and the document as “a significant gesture of courage”.

“Forty years after its publication, the teaching not only shows itself to be unchanged in its truth, but it reveals the farsightedness with which the problem was tackled”, the pope said.

So basically they are telling me that what me and John are doing to conceive a child is against the Catholic religion and is a sin. So I wonder if once we do have a child and we wanted to get the child baptized - if we told the Church how the child was conceive - thru articifial conception - I wonder if they would even allow the child to be baptized Catholic - this makes me so sad and angry - the Church really needs to step up with the times.

I know not every one will agree with my view but this is just my opinion and is not meant to offend anyone who is reading this.

3 comments:

Alli B said...

The Catholic church keeps talking about having to close parishes due to declining church attendance, but I think that it is things like this that turn people away from the church and cause the declining numbers. I think some of their beliefs are old fashioned and need to updated.

Mary said...

As a Catholic, I'm so sorry that you're feeling this way. If it helps, and I know it may not, many theologians interpret the statement that "mechanics aren't a substitute for the relationship of husband and wife conceiving naturally" to mean that it's not as ideal as doing it on our own. Which we pretty much knew anyway. Obviously, if we had our choice, we'd all fall into bed with our DH and get up pregnant and smiling.

Anyway, I know this doesn't make you feel better, but a priest shouldn't reject your child for baptism. If one tries, you should write to the bishop and demand his aid. Your child cannot be denied this sacrament for any reason other than being already baptized, or if someone other than you and your husband try to get him/her baptized without your permission.

I hope you get your bfp soon!

Kristin said...

I'm sorry you are going through this. I found this website helpful. http://www.usccb.org/prolife/treatment.shtml