Friday, July 31, 2009

Oh Great - this is not what I needed (or is it)

I just got an e-mail from one of my friend about my old RE. He is offering IVF at a huge discount. $ 5,500 to be exact. Which does not include medication or anesthesia - so we are looking at about $ 8,500 total.

My new RE we are looking at about $ 16,000 if not more for one IVF cycle.

So now I do not know what to do - my consult is in less than two weeks.

There is a reason why I left my old RE - first where he was located was not the best place, two because I felt like he did not listen to me, three because he tried to push IVF on us (even though he was right, but I did not know that at the time) and fourth because he was not open on the weekends.

I really like my new RE - I love the location and I trust him and I think he is really good.

But that is a huge difference in price and we are totally out of pocket for IVF and money is a huge huge issue for us.

I do not know what to do now - tell me what you think readers? What should I do??

12 comments:

Just Believing said...

check to make sure it isn't a new thing called " Mini IVF" I know some places are offering it at 5500$ but it is slightly different from the taditional IVF procedure... Google Mini IVF to read about it, it is something we are going to do in the future BUT if it is mini then THAT is why the costs are so low...

JackieMac said...

no it is not a mini IVF

Here is the link

www.hanivf.com

Christina said...

I am extremely frugal and would go with the old RE, but that's just me. You have to do what your gut tells you is right.

Katie said...

I agree with Me!!

Megan said...

That is a real puzzler.

First, have you checked out success rates. Also, will they perform the same services (particularly ICSI) for that price?

Part of me says, save the money and go for the cheaper option...it's a big money savings.

Part of me says, what if you get what you pay for? If you spend $5500 and don't get pregnant, that's also a big waste of money.

I don't know if this is one you can reason your way out of. I think you have to do some soul searching and go with your gut. When I go with my gut, I am rarely disappointed.

Alli B said...

That is a tough one. Like the other people said, look into further to be sure you are getting the same thing you will with your new RE. I know everyone raves about your new RE for IVF, but cost is a big issue. You say location is one thing that mad eyou move, but isn't the location of your new RE not that great either? Also the weekend thing too? I thing that is more of a concern for IUI due to timing rather than IVF (I could be wrong, I know nothing about IVF). I know it is tough. I would definitely look into the old RE. If it were me and everything checked out, I'd probably go to the old RE. But like evryone else says, go with your gut!

Tiffany said...

That is tough. I would go the cheaper route, in fact we did. We chose to drive to an RE over two hours away to save money. Not opened on weekends? Huh? How could they possible close? I would double check that, for IVF patients I would imagine they would HAVE to be open weekends. At some points I had checks everyday! I would imagine that cost does NOT include ICSI or freezing. At our clinic ICSI was $1,100 and freezing was $1,600 plus $400 per year. I would call them for details.

J said...

I'm going to have to join the other team. There was a reason you chose to leave the old RE. I would definitely research what type of IVF they are offering, but your instincts are usually right on. I'd pay more OOP if I felt "right" in my decision. Good luck whatever you decide!

Christa said...

I would check out the national ART website for success rates. If your new RE is better, you can mention to him about the old RE's discount and maybe he will honor some (if not all) of it. But perhaps there is a reason your old RE is offering such a large discount. It could be because his success rates are crap.

looking4#3 said...

Is there any way you can bring the documentation about the old RE's rate change to the new RE?? I absolutely know for sure that RE's rates are negotiable.
I am not sure if you have done this or not, but consider writing a letter to the managing partners in the new RE's office, explain the situation, say why you prefer them, but ask for a discount or at the very least the contracted rate they charge the insurance companies. That rate is normally less than people paying OOP!!! I know, sucks doesn't it.
Good Luck which ever RE you stay with!!!

Suzanne said...

I would go with the new RE. If you don't feel comfortable with your old RE that's a bad sign. Plus, your RE really should be open on weekends, your cycle isn't going to stop for Saturdays and Sundays and if something in your protocol needs to be done on the weekends then it should be done on the weekends.

That's just my opinion.

Sumer said...

Hey JackieMac!! Check out my blog - I tagged you for an award!! One Lovely Blog Award!! I follow your blog and think it is awesome! I should be starting my IVF cycle in September and am glad I found others out there to find comfort in.

Sumer