Sunday, August 2, 2009

We have come to a decision

We are going to stick with our current RE. Yes he is more expensive - but there is a reason I left the old RE in the first place. John and I talked about this alot this weekend and we are going to keep our IVF consult for August 12th.

I looked up the stats on both RE and in 2007 - my current RE had a 40% success rate and my old RE (that is offering the cheaper IVF) success rate was only 20%. My gut is telling me that you get what you pay for and I love my new RE and I think he will listen to me and I feel comfortable with him and to me going through IVF you really need to feel comfortable with your RE.

Plus John brought up a good point - the old RE is advertising his cheap IVF everywhere - it has been on the news several times, in magazines and on the internet so everybody and their mother his going to be going to him now for the cheapest IVF rates around - so is he or his staff really going to have time for me - the time I want and deserve. I do not think so.

The silver lining is - that he is now an option and a cheaper option at that. Our current plan is to do our first IVF with my current more expensive RE but if the first one does not work - at least we have the option to go with the old RE and it will not take us that long to save for IVF #2 - hopefully it will not come to that - but at least it is an option.

So tomorrow I will call and set up John's IVF SA for August 12th - it needs to be done the day of the consult. I will also call and get his specific referral for this SA consult. I already got my referrals for the consult and then we are ready to go for the 12th.

John has his appointment with the Urologist on Tuesday so I will make sure and post about the result of the SA done two weeks ago.

Thank you all for you help, advice and support - I truly appreciate it.

9 comments:

Just Believing said...

Glad you feel good with your decision and definitley I believey ou get what you pay for! Yeah for new RE and your upcoming appt!!!

Triumph in Learning said...

I think you made the right decision:) thats what I would have done anyway.lol

I can't wait to hear about your appt. I really hope everything goes perfect with your IVF, and you get your BFP the 1st time:)

HUGS,
Hannah

April said...

sounds good. i think that you have really thought this through and you are totally right--you have to have a good relationship with the doc and office in order to have a good experience with IVF. :)

can't wait to hear about the upcoming appointments!

(for some reason this won't let me comment with my wordpress account right now??? hmmmm.... i also just realized that my comment i tried to make earlier is still up, too!)

april
strongblonde.wordpress.com

Bella said...

Sounds like you made the right decision for you. Wishing you all the luck in the world and that IVF #1 is all it takes.

Megan said...

I'm glad you didn't agonize too much over this decision. I think you made the right one. Liking your doctor is very important in this process. Trust is very important. Good luck!

J said...

You definitely are making the right decision. Thanks for the award. Right back at you!

akoto said...

It must have been very difficult to make your decision, but it definitely sounds like the right one. Your post also reminds me of the whole idea is that the best places don't need expensive advertisements because word of mouth is more than enough. Places that advertise so much obviously have a need to do so, which isn't all that comforting.

I hope the appointment goes well! You are getting so close now!

Tabitha said...

Yay for decisions! I'm so glad you chose to stick with the new R.E. Praying for you!!

Nerwal said...

I think you made the right decision. I would have done the exact same thing. Good luck this cycle!