Friday, February 26, 2010

She heard me calling her!!!

AF arrived this morning - all on her own - I am very proud - LOL. I am so glad I did not have to go to my OB to get medicine to move it along. Now we can start trying on our own - I guess I better go out and buy some OPK's next week. I really hope we get pregnant on our own.

I watched the view yesterday and I think they did a very good job and I am glad they did the whole show on IF. I am glad they touched on the costs, the weight gain and even did a segment on MFI - so now people may realize that it is not always a women's problem.

The things that bugged me about the show were when they attacked Guiliana - I think she is very brave to put her personal information out there like that and have more people become aware of infertility and I am sure the main reason people to do discuss infertility more is because they are judged - just like she was by Whoppi yesterday. I know alot of people do not like her but I love her and I respect her documenting her struggle - not many other people in the limelight do this.

Another thing that bothered me was every time they talk to someone about their struggles they said what about adoption - like it is a easy fix. I think adoption is great and do not knock it at all - it is a wonderful option for many people but it is not the only option for infertile couples and I hate when that is the first thing people say to infertile couples. I say to this if they are so for adpotion then how come they did not adopt - adoption is not for only infertile couples - anyone can adopt. It is not easy it is very expensive and a very difficult decision for some couples to make. Some, like me are not even ready to discuss that option.

But other than that it was very informative and I am glad they did it. That is just my take on it.

11 comments:

Infertile Myrtle said...

I'm so glad AF arrived! I was pretty irregular after my c/p last May, so I was worried that AF might be MIA for you for awhile. I'm so glad she showed up on her own, although I know it's not the most fun days of the month!

I nominated you for an award on my blog. You are in my T&P!

bibc said...

i agree...i hate that the adoption thing is always first on people's minds. i would love it if someone had said to them that they should adopt when they were first starting to build their family. they would see what a ridiculous statement it is. plus, just because we a re infertile doesn't mean that we are the saviors of the foster care and adoptive world. it is a natural instinct to want to reproduce and pass on genetic material. i personally would love the chance to adopt, but i am going to exhaust my chances with ART first, and i think adoption is way way harder and more expensive. some just can't do it.
those ladies are supposed to represent all types of views. it makes me sad when they just parrot what others say or don't take the time to understand the issues.

Beth said...

yah!! So glad AF arrived...it's not often that you get excited about it so when you want it to come you might as well celebrate!! I watched the view yeaterday and had the exact same two complaints. I did feel like Giuliana got attacked and that she handled it pretty well. I guess you expect that when you go on the View but still felt like it was harsh. I also agree with the adoption thing. I think just because barbara did it does not make it a great choice for everyone...especially those with limited budgets. I think adoption was much easier 40 years ago and there weren't many options. One more thing on Giuliana...I was reading some critics about the show the other day about how fake people thought the show was. However, I really feel like the fertility stuff is pretty real. You can't fake trying to figure out a follistim pen, getting shots for the first time, of getting an HSG. You don't do those things to yourself just for a show! Ok, I'm done rambling!! Good luck with the babymaking!!

Mama K said...

So glad to hear AF arrived! :)

Also, I agree about The View. I hated how they made adoption seem like it was the end all for dealing with infertility. Everything that Lis said above me hit the nail right on the head! Well said!

I also hated how Sherry said "embryo" instead of egg. I hope she wasn't serious, especially since it's coming from someone who did IVF.

Oh, and Guiliana kind of annoyed me when she said she had 8 follicles when they did IUI. What?! Is she seeing "John and Kate's" doctor ... or the Octomom's??? IUI is only done if there are 3-4 follicles.

Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

I'm so ticked I didnt know that show was going to be talking about IF. Maybe I can find it on the internet somewhere. Dang!

Cady said...

I was glad they did the show on IF, but I wasn't really impressed with it. I thought Shari should have known the terminology better considering she went through IVF, I thought the hosts asked some inane questions, and I HATED how they attacked Giuliana, especially when she talked about needing to gain weight.

I, too, hate it when people immediately jump to adoption when they find out you are having trouble conceiving. My FIL did that, and it pissed me off. Don't we deserve to want to have our own biological children??

End rant. :)

RELH said...

Woo hoo for AF!

Sarah said...

Woo-hoo for AF showin up! That's great :) I agree about the adoption comments. It bothers me too. When they say " Well at least you could adopt" or " What's wrong with adoption?" My response to that in my head is: "Umm nothing's wrong with it and of course it might be an option someday, but for now why don't you shut the hell up and let me try with my everything to make my own baby first!" Of course that's in my head and not out loud :)

One Who Understands said...

So glad AF finally came!! That means your body is working.

I need to sit down and watch the view. I just haven't had a free moment yet. I hate it when people say "just adopt" like you can buy a baby at Target! "excuse me, where are your newborns, preferably one with blond hair and blue eyes." The emotional and financial toll of adoption should not be so flippantly addressed.

Hope you get pg on your own too! That would be so wonderful.

Chook and Chrisfeeney said...

I've been reading your blog for some time now...I happen to stumble across it. I am so sorry for your loss.
I have been pregnant three times..in 2007 I delivered twin daughters at 5 months..and on January 24th 2010 I delivered a baby boy at 14 weeks. I have struggled with infertility for about 5 years and have grieved over the loss of my three babies. My husband and I adopted a baby girl from Vietnam a year ago and she is the light of our lives. Please don't be upset when people suggest adoption...they mean well..they don't understand our struggle to have a family...they don't understand how devastating infertility is...I used to get upset with people too when they mentioned adoption, but they just want you to be happy...babies are a gift, no matter where they come from. I wish you the best, Kim

Rebekah said...

yay for AF!! Oh man, if this could just happen for you on your own...I'm praying it will!!

I agree with everything you said about The View/adoption. Now, if only more shows would take the time to get the facts straight...