Thursday, April 3, 2008

What Nobody Told Me About Trying to Conceive

It got this from the Nest and I really like it.

That unprotected sex doesn't necessarily lead to pregnancy.
That my sex life would start to resemble a science experiment.
That conception of our child could occur in the doctors office and probably will.
That the longer I try to conceive, the more pregnant women spring up around me.
That deep down inside, I can be a very jealous person.
That I would know more about the female reproductive system and menstrual cycle than most of the doctors I go to.
That living my life in two week increments would be the normal thing to do.
That I never knew how much I wanted to see those 2 pink lines...until only one shows up every month.
That I have no control over some of the goals I set.
That wishing really hard for something doesn't make it happen.
That a pregnancy doesn't always equal a baby.
That miscarriage is so common.
That I would wish we had started trying to conceive earlier.
That my friends' pregnancies would start to make me sad instead of happy.
That it wouldn't happen the first time I didn't use birth control like I was led to believe in school.
That I wouldn't know how important a baby was to me until it took so long, and I realized what I was willing to go through to make it happen.
That my husband is the most wonderful and caring man!
That it is insensitive to ask people when they are going to try having a baby!
They might be trying and having difficulties just like me!
That women who do get pregnant are so very blessed!
That simply relaxing will NOT get me pregnant.
That I could have been rich by saving the money I spent on condoms/birth control pills, which were obviously unnecessary. That had I bought stock in Clearblue Easy I'd have my mansion on St. Pete's Beach in Florida by now.
That having my period show up would make me cry, no matter whose bathroom I was in.
That a group of "strangers" who I will probably never meet, have now become my "best friends" when it comes to trying to conceive.
That talking about sex with fellow women who are trying to conceive would be so easy.
That one day all of this will make me stronger.
That no one I know would have any understanding as to how I feel.
That infertility is not as rare as I was led to believe.
That I am very bitter towards unmarried accidental pregnancies, and slightly bitter towards married accidental pregnancies. That someone I thought to be my best friend would hurt me by saying that she was sick of hearing about my efforts at trying to conceive.
That some people just say the wrong things.
That I would be so sad.
That my friendship with my real life girlfriends would suffer because they got pregnant after being off the pill for 3 weeks. That this would be, by far, one of the hardest things I will ever have to go through.
That I HAVE to have sex even though I don't feel like it.
That HAVING sex with my husband is not an option for getting pregnant.
That people would pity me and feel sorry for me.
That I would feel stupid and naive for thinking a pregnancy would occur "when it was supposed to".
That answering questions (and usually lying) about pregnancy or family plans would hurt so badly
That it does not get easier ... each cycle is harder than the last.

No comments: